Athens Technology Center (ATC) confirms once more its leading role in developing novel technological tools for media organizations, journalists, and fact-checkers to tackle disinformation, by participating in the CEDMO project. ATC will be responsible for the development of the project’s technical infrastructure and will be designing and developing the project’s key online informative outlet.
Launched earlier this February, the Central European Digital Media Observatory (CEDMO) is an initiative gathering professional fact-checkers, researchers, AI specialists, and media literacy experts to provide the public and governments with the necessary means to verify information and counter disinformation in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland. The project aims to:
- develop and research technological and AI-based fact-checking solutions that will improve human-machine cooperation and fact-checking effectiveness
- implement media literacy education and campaigns backed by research and analysis
- cooperate with national authorities in monitoring digital media ecosystems and propose recommendations on how to improve disinformation regulation and related policy-making
As an active partner of the European Commission’s action plan to fight disinformation, we feel very proud for playing a vital role not only in CEDMO’s activation, but in several disinformation observatories within the EU (Belgium, Luxemburg, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, and Bulgaria).
In specific for CEDMO, ATC is responsible to set up:
- the hub’s website in 4 languages
- the collaborative environment based on Truly Media and Truthnest, and making sure that the hub is interoperable with EDMO.
- the hub’s repository, accessible through the website, which will serve as a central data storage of all outcomes created by the hub’s members.
We remind you that Truly Media has been co-developed by ATC and DW, in order to support the collaborative evaluation of the validity of user-generated content. The platform is used by the European Science-Media Hub, by the members of the European Observatory against Disinformation, the European Digital Media Observatory (EDMO), while also being trusted by organizations such as DW, Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF), FactCheck Mongolia, Amnesty International, Reuters, and the Human Rights Center (University of California, Berkeley). Moreover, Truly Media has been exploited by a vast network of journalists and fact-checkers in Myanmar and Georgia.
TruthNest is ATC’s proprietary Twitter analytics tool, supporting the identification of true influencers while also helping with the detection of trolls and bots via enhanced profiling of active Twitter accounts. TruthNest web app provides Open Data statistical analysis, resulting in a variety of KPIs related to the activity, the network, and the influence of Twitter accounts. Last but not least, TruthNest has also won the Public Vote Award (Software of the year) at Innovation Radar Competition (run by the European Commission).
Download the Press Release
In the video below you can watch CEDMO’s presentation